Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Last stop: The Nederlands

Last month I went to the Nederlands with my Romanian friend Georgiana, Geo for me. My “elements” =) were in Amsterdam, and some friends of Geo as well. It was the Queen’s day and night… and we can tell it was a hell of a party. It reminded me Saint António’s day in Lisbon… the best party of the year for me…

During these festivities, Dutch people don’t work. Instead of that, they rather take their boats, invite some friends, and dance while sailing in the canals… it’s awesome!

Besides, Amsterdam is always Amsterdam… the canals, the boats and the cosy beautiful houses, the good weed, the relaxed atmosphere, … Amsterdam is just beautiful.

One of the nicest parts of my third visit to Amsterdam was the introduction of a totally new concept for me. Have you heard about SQUATting? Well, to squat is “to live in an empty building or area of land without the permission of the owner”! So cool! Normally in the Nederlands – our Dutch connections told us – they do it in company buildings which means that they have HUGEEE rooms and no kitchen – so they make up one!

And I JUST LOVED the squat where I was sleeping in. There was no object that you couldn’t find in that “house”… useless boats in the “garden”, useless computers in the corridor – let’s say JUST 3 or 4…

Our host, Alwin was really cool too. (Hospitality club benefits! :) )

DEFINITELY (and this definitely is, once again, dedicated to mon amour Nico ;) - I know that you just love it:P) the freest spot ever! You can do whatever you want to as long as you respect the others. And so they live happily… :)

We hitch-hiked all the way from the border until Amsterdam, and then later from Amsterdam to lovely Delft – my dear Joaninha is there doing Erasmus.
On my way back to Gent I was alone, but I want to get a lift – at least to prove everybody that was doable! So I was standing on the road to Rotterdam for 7 minutes, with my thumb up, laughing with myself… when the cops came. I was so pissed of… Ok, it’s “not that you cannot hitch-hike although it’s dangerous and bla bla… but you cannot stay here… you might provoke an accident and bla bla…” Rrrr… my motivation was completely destroyed so I just took the train…

But I can’t complain… at least train trips around here are really pleasant! =) And I was back in Gent… again… :)

1 comment:

Helena said...

Que lindo! Recebi o teu postal dessa cidade cujo nome me faz lembrar um amigo meu a quem chamamos "Delfo"... lol

Sabes que em Lisboa também há "squants"?! Eu acho fantástica a forma como vivem! Mas sei que não seria capaz por muito tempo... A cena mais gira é que, quando os proprietários não querem saber do edifício, ninguém lhes pode fazer nada.

Mais!! Na Inglaterra até há uma lei: se eles entraram na tua propriedade, sem forçar nenhuma entrada (o que em edifícios antigos não é difícil, há imensas janelas e portas "inexistentes" :P), tu não podes expulsá-los de lá. Eles têm de querer sair por vontade própria.

E com a lei de "uso capião" (semelhante em muitos países da Europa) acabas por te apropriar do sítio!

Eu sei, pareço um canal de informações ou curiosidades - boriiiiiiiing!! :P
Mas achei piada à cena e ao facto de teres vivido assim!!

Hoje é o meu último dia de trabalho na Focus. Já estava tão habituada a isto que a vontade de voltar à minha rotina não é muita... :)

Em breve estou de curso acabado e prestes a trabalhar... no Pingo Doce, "quiçá"?!! :P

Bem, mas o propósito disto tudo é mesmo só um: mandar-te um grande beijinho! :)